The Freehold of Cedarbound Whispers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen Empty Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen

Post  Nitemare Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Jack,after a bit of trial and error,manages to find his way back to the domicile of the Winter Queen.He has to admit to himself that she seems to have quite a good taste in her home.He can't help but wonder if all of the Court's rulers live in places like this.He takes a moment to make himself look a bit more presentable,mostly just trying to wipe dust and dirt away,and knocks on the front door.Or what he assumes is the front door anyway.Its the door he went through the last time.It could be a backdoor for all he knows.

Nitemare

Character sheet
Name: Jack Scratch
Seeming: Darkling
Court: courtless

Back to top Go down

Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen Empty Re: Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen

Post  mariah Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 pm

As short while later Dahl opens the door. She smiles at him as she opens the door wider for him to come in. "Just you this time I see..." She leads him back to the living room.

mariah
Admin

https://cedarboundwhispers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen Empty Re: Jack returns to the home of the Winter Queen

Post  Nitemare Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Jack follows behind her,letting his eyes wander around the house.

"I tried to convince him to come back,but he wasn't interested in your Court's beliefs.He did want to meet the other Courts,which I would like to as well,but I figure I would try to learn as much as I can from you as possible,err,Ma'am."

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

The house is fairly clean, though there are some surfaces that have mail and other papers piled on them. You notice several different sizes of shoes and coats by the front door, which is probably not very surprising since she had said before that she had both a husband and children. In fact there are a few portrait type pictures hanging on the walls, though it's hard to make them out in the current lighting, which is dim and soft. In the living room, there is a clock on the wall that says it's almost 11 pm.

"You may call me Dahl if you feel like. It's what I've gone by since I returned. Or I guess Dahlia, if you'd rather use what I go by around mortals. I don't think I actually got either of your names... Not the name your parents gave you, of course. Your true name is something you should keep secret. It holds power over you and can sometimes be used as a link back to your Keeper.

As for the courts, I could probably have someone take you to see Autumn. They tend to be most active at night. Knowing Summer, they're most likely all out at various bars or in their hollow. Spring you will have to wait for tomorrow though if you want to meet their monarch. Her Majesty has something of a bedtime." Dahl smiles a little as she says the last part.

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Jack just nods and listens tentatively to the Winter Queen as she talks.Atleast she seems to have a good life all things considering.Perks of being Queen perhaps?He decides it would be rude to ask that.

"Err,right,sorry.I'm Jack.Jack Scratch.I think you can see where that last part comes from." Jack says as he motions to the scratches on his face."As for my true name,I guess I don't have one?Or atleast I don't anymore.My Keeper kinda took it from me.I don't know how but he did.It was not...pleasant to say the least." He says that last line with a bit of a repressed shiver. "I would like to learn a bit more about both Winter and Autumn.I'm also a bit curious about the bedtime comment."

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 pm

"Sometimes it's easier that way, to not remember. I've sometimes thought it would be very sad to know your real name, but never be able to use it or tell anyone, not even your closest friends, what it was. But then again there is sadness in knowing been forgotten and most likely never going to be remembered again...."

She grins a little, "I'll leave it a surprise. You'll know what I'm talking about when you meet her. As for Winter and Autumn, I can answer questions about them, or at least as much as I am able. I can't tell you everything there is to know about Winter. That's for those who join us to learn. Similarly, while I know about Autumn, they have many secrets of their own." She pauses, waiting for Jack to throw some questions at her.

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Jack hmms and huhs as he listens.He thinks for a moment then continues.

"Well,since you're the Queen of Winter then I guess I would like to hear a bit about them.Or atleast what you are willing to tell me anyway.Like you mentioned that Sorrow was a thing with Winter.Did you mean that literally or figuratively?"

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm

"Winter is the court of secrets and hiding. If we hide and cover our tracks then the true fae cannot catch our scent and cannot hunt us. Much like how during the winter the earth is covered by snow and all seems dead, but in reality life continues on underneath that mask of nothingness. One way of doing this is by blending in with mortal society. Many of us try to lead as normal of lives as possible. It's those lives that the other courts tend to see the most of from us.

Yes, sorrow is the emotion attached to the onyx court. Many courtiers take the approach of hiding from their own sorrow but acting as counselors for others. Personally I believe that you become far stronger if you can accept what causes you pain and learn to live with it. Sorrow can be both a shield or a dagger if one knows how to use it correctly."

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Jack listens intently to the Winter Queen.From what she is saying Winter may be for him.If there is anything he knows well it is secrets.

"Hmm,well in my little slice of hell I had to hide and try to gain secrets from others so from what you have told me Winter may be a very good fit for me.But I would very much like to meet some of the other Courts before I make a choice.What can you tell me about Autumn?"

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 pm

"I would recommend you do so. While we oftentimes try to get away from what defined us in Arcadia, many seem to come back to it....

Autumn is similar to winter in that they are collectors of knowledge. Where they differ is in their willingness to use it. They believe that the curses and scars of Arcadia are weapons that the fae unwittingly gifted us to fight against them with. Magic is a tool for them to protect themselves and others with, though their methods of protecting are often.... Unorthodox." She grimaces a bit. "They also think of themselves as monsters, more so than changelings of other courts anyway. The idea is that they can use the fear they inspire to keep mortals and the rest of us in the straight and narrow. It's a dangerous path they walk, one that a good deal of autumn courtiers fall off... The consequences of with the rest of us have to deal with."

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Jack nods a bit.

"I see.Magic is always interesting,though I'm not all the keen on making people afraid.I will put them on the back burner for now.What can you tell me about Spring and Summer?"

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  TaylorC.S. Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 pm

"Should I take this one, dear?" A warm, almost exhilarating Spring mantle comes around the corner, shortly followed by a lean, feathered man wearing a button-down shirt and slacks underneath a comfortable robe. He blows lightly on the coffee cup in his left hand talons, then extends his right to Jack for a shake, "The name's D.C., right hand of Spring Court, humble husband of this beautiful woman here." His voice comes out kind and friendly, but at a rate more fitting for a salesman.

D.C. takes a seat next to Dahl and sets his coffee down. Quietly, he says to Dahl, "The girls had a bit of wake before, finally calmed them down enough to get back to sleep." He turns to the newcomer, "So, Jack was it? Did I overhear you asking about the Courts?"

TaylorC.S.
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Ishamel
Seeming: Ogre
Court: Summer

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Dahl blushes but smiles as though content. She nods in response to his quiet comment. "He was just asking about spring and summer. I think you should tell him about spring, you'll do a better job of it."

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Jack jumps a bit at the new voice,but shakes the man's hand all the same.He wasn't quite expecting someone new,but he doesn't want to appear rude.He then nods to the mans question.

"That's right.I'm Jack Scratch.And you are right again,I was asking about the Courts.I'm hoping to learn about each of them before I make a choice about which I want to join.From what I have heard so far Winter seems to be more fitting for me but again I want to know as much as I can before I do choose.Anything you can tell me will big help in this."

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  TaylorC.S. Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm

"Smart man. It's always best to have an informed decision when it comes to choosing courts. Sure, you can change later, but the fewer times you do, the better." He takes a sip of coffee, then continues.

"Spring Court, oh, what can I say? We're laid back, most of the time, but don't doubt our passion. We're the court of Desire. That certainly comes with it's reputation, but we're okay with that. The motto goes: your desires are your own. We believe that if you're passionate about something, pursue it. That's your right. The Keepers took so much from us, twisted us and changed us, but if we can still smile, dance, love, and have a good time, well, I say we won. The important part is that your desires are your own; it's about respecting people's own personal wants and needs and not harming others with your own." D.C. takes another drink of his coffee, granting his guest a moment to process.

"The thing with Spring, see, is that we can offer a lot of what the other courts can. What it comes down to is your reason. I've seen a lot of folks, for example, join Autumn because they wanted to learn all sorts of magic. Well, I'll let you in on a secret right now, each Court has its own special, unique magic. Anyway, those folks are in it to learn, not for the fear. They were pursuing Desire, you see. Fighters are another great example! If your desire leads you to dangerous battles and your sword is your strength and passion, why - you don't need to be in Summer if you're not wrathful. It's all about Desire, passion."

"Assuming I didn't talk your ears right off your head, I'd be happy to answer any questions you'd like to shoot my way." It would be jarring if it wasn't so uplifting how refreshing D.C.'s mantle is and how genuinely friendly his expression and words are, especially when compared to the cold night and the dark, fading memories of Arcadia.

Last edited by TaylorC.S. on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

TaylorC.S.
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Jack just stroked his chin as he thought on the man's words.While he did have desires he didn't really think that the Spring Court was for him.Though he was kinda curious about what kind of magic Winter had.He made a mental note to find out if he did decide to join them.

"Well,I thank you for the information.However I would say that Spring isn't for me.While I do have desires I can't see myself jumping into them.Not at the moment atleast.Now,what can you tell me about Summer?"

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm

"Well, we could probably just send him over to the Riptide. They're probably all down there by now... But he doesn't really strike me as a Summer courtier... It'd be kind of pointless to send him all the way down there just for him to not be interested," Dahl says quietly to DC. "You should at some point ask a Summer courtier, or maybe the Queen, their opinions on Summer."

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TaylorC.S. Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:06 pm

D.C. smiles and nods, "I can respect that. Like I said, your desires are your own. Even if they're not mine, or for my Court, as a Spring Courtier I'll gladly help you along your way."

As an aside, he says to Dahl, "The Riptide at this hour probably isn't the most welcoming environment for a newcomer."

"Hearing about each Court from their own courtiers is a great way to learn about them. It's also a great way to get your ear talked off. The thing you need to know about Summer is that they're all about wrath. It grows from their anger at the Gentry and fuels them forward; it gives them strength. They're not all martial, though, and not necessarily all about fighting. Sure, when it comes down to it, Summer likes to play the army, but in real conflict, you'll see members of every court defending their home how they do best. As before, Autumn gets a lot of credit for having all the magic; just because you're not in Summer, doesn't mean you can't fight and just because you're in Summer, doesn't mean you have to. All the time, at least. It all comes down to what you do with your wrath."

TaylorC.S.
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  hannah-st.c Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

lyla slips in silently, lingering just inside the living room as conversation continues, eventually making her way towards dahl and whispers, "the other guy's at the bar, he'll make his way from there. i thought i'd stick around and take him," she nods at jack "to the hotel for the night." looking over at dc she adds "when he's ready, of course."

hannah-st.c
Admin

http://saintlyhannahclaire.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Jack rubs his head abit.This is alot to take it it seems.He could use sometime to let it soak.

"I thank you both for everything you have told me.It has been very helpful.While I do have an idea of which Court I would like to join I wish to meet members of this Summer Court before I make my final decision.Perhaps unnecessary,but I feel I should atleast let them speak for there own Court.I would also like to speak with someone of the Autumn Court to get their views later as well."

He then looks over to Lyra.

"It has been a bit of a long day and I would very much like to get some sleep in a nice comfy bed.Lord knows I haven't slept in one of those for a long time."

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  mariah Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

"Why don't you go ahead and take him then," Dahl says to Lyla. "And then tomorrow, if you'd like, you can take him to meet other people. Or I can send Finn to do it. It might depend more on what this one's sleep pattern is." She glances back at Jack.

mariah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Jack gave a little bow to the Winter Queen.

"I very much appreciate it Ma'am.I hope to make it up to you in the future.And as for my sleeping habits,well.." He sighs then continues "Light wasn't very common in my Keeper's land.And since I haven't seen the sun in ages I think it would be better for me to stick to the night for the time being."

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  hannah-st.c Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 pm

"of course, your majesty." lyla smiles at her queen.

to jack, she says, "nocturnal, huh? this isn't too big of a city, so there's not too much of a nightlife here, but enough of us are night owls too. c'mon, i'll take you to the hotel."

hannah-st.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitemare Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:37 am

Jack bows his head toward Lyra.

"You lead the way and I will follow behind you.I would much rather not get lost on my first night in this city and have to sleep in a dumpster." He can't help but give a smile at that last part.

Nitemare

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  hannah-st.c Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm

"the dumpsters here are nicer than some of the places i've lived in other cities," lyla matches his smile, "but i'm taking you to a place far nicer. have a good night, my queen, and thank you."

lyla leads jack out the door (once he says his goodbyes, if you still want to ^_^)

hannah-st.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next